Frequently Asked Questions - Warmies® Bedswarmers
1. What is my Microwavable Bedwarmer made from ?
Microwavable bedwarmers are all made from microwave safe, flame resistant fabric. The filling consists of microwave safe polyfill with millet & dried lavender. All materials have been specially designed to be heated in a microwave.
2. What fragrances are Microwavable Bedwarmers available in ?
We use only 100% natural dried lavender flowers in all our products. The lavender fragrance will fade over time. This can be refreshed by adding a couple of drops of Pure Essential Oil. It is important to use only “Pure Essential Oil” as the cheaper “Fragranced Oils” will leave an oily mark on your microwavable bedwarmer.
3. How should I heat my Microwavable Bedwarmer ?
Microwavable bedwarmers are designed to be heated in a microwave oven only.
NEVER try to heat your microwavable bedwarmer in a conventional oven. For best results place the Warmies® in the microwave for a maximum of two minutes on high (based on 800-watt oven).
It is paramount that care is taken when heating any wheat/millet filled product in your microwave to avoid damage and to ensure complete safety. Hot spots and burn holes can appear in the following circumstances:
- Warmies® is overheated. Ensure your Warmies® is heated for the duration recommended for the wattage of the microwave
- Allow to fully cool before reheating
- Turntable was not rotating properly, so the product heated unevenly causing a ‘hotspot’ to develop
- The product was folded during the heating process, creating a ‘hot spot’
- The product came into contact with food or liquid on the turntable
- Something was inadvertently stuck to the fabric which caused it to smoulder when heated
- Perfumes, lotions, saliva or sweat were present on the fabric of the Warmies®
- The product was damp after being spot cleaned before being re-heated
- The product was covered after being heated, causing the wheat grains to char.
4. Can I chill my Microwavable Bedwarmer ?
Absolutely! Simply pop your microwavable bedwarmer inside a plastic bag and leave it in the freezer for 2-3 hours. You can then use your microwavable bedwarmer as a cold pack or to help cool your child on hot days.
5. How safe is my Microwavable Bedwarmer ?
Manufactured with extra strong seams, using microwave safe thread and fabrics, the Warmies® soft toys won’t spill or scald like a hot water bottle making it a much safer product.
The soft toys have been tested to the Australian/New Zealand Toy Standard AS/NZS ISO-8124 Safety of Toys - Part 1 "Safety Aspects related to mechanical and physical properties for ages 0 to 14 years"; Part 2 “Flammability”; and Part 3 “Migration of Certain Elements”. Warmies® soft toys also conform to the UK Toy Standard BS-EN71/2/3, the UK Microwavable Personal Warmers Standard BS8433:2004, MDA and European CE standards and have been flammability and safety tested. Warmies® soft toys are TGA registered. There are concerns about babies overheating and these should never be ignored. Our supplier recommends following current advice in relation to SIDS.
These safety tests can be provided upon request.
More information may be found on the Australian SIDS website www.rednose.com.au.
6. Why does my Microwavable Bedwarmer feel damp when heated ?
This is quite normal. It is due to the natural moisture content of the filling and will cease after the first few uses.
7. How can I wash my Microwavable Bedwarmer ?
The surface can be cleaned with a damp sponge. Your microwavable bedwarmer should never be immersed in water. The filling will be damaged if this happens.
8. Can I send or take my Warmies® outside of Australia?
Warmies® products contain natural grains and therefore are subject to quarantine regulations in certain countries. Please check with the relevant country authorities. NOTE: Warmies® products cannot be exported to New Zealand due to their quarantine restrictions.